Thursday, October 06, 2005

I Love a Mystery!
I know! I know!
What does that have to do with Charlie Chan?!
But the old Carleton Morse radio series-turned-movie isn't off-topic this week.
Our next Monday Night Chat Room Movie* is The Scarlet Clue and is set partially around radio and television studios.
The I Love a Mystery series was one of the most popular ones on radio with fifteen minute episodes a weekday over a three week period. I still enjoy listening to "The Thing That Cried in the Night" with Mercedes McCambridge.
The reason that I bring up "ILM" is because it was one of so many radio shows that ended up on television in the fifties, from Jack Benny to Inner Sanctum with its creaking door.
You can find many of them at OTRcat at www.otrcat.com and you can buy the shows in either MP3 format or audio CD's.
I have several of both. Two that are perfect for Halloween are Orson Welles' War of the Worlds that he did on his Mercury Theatre on the Air.
The other is a CD of two Suspense shows. Robert Taylor in The House in Cypress Canyon (December 5, 1946 and it still spooks me!) and Agnes Moorehead in The 13th Sound (February 13, 1947). The 13th Sound isn't Moorehead's best but nobody can come near doing it as well.
I have also seen reproductions of old cathedral radios that also play audio cassettes as well as CD's.
So while you are enjoying The Scarlet Clue, think seriously about getting some old time radio shows!
<><>
Please check out
*Our Monday Night Movie Chat Room is at www.charliechan.info, from 8:00 P.M. to 10:00 P.M. (EDT) with our tapes/DVD's starting at 8:30.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home