Sunday, December 12, 2004

The Music of Rio

The Last time I posted the lyrics of the songs in Charlie Chan in Rio, I accessed Rush Glick's website (www.charliechan.info) for both "They Met in Rio (A Midnight Serenade)" and "I, YI, YI, YI, (I Like You Very Much)."

I have discovered a more complete version of "They Met in Rio" for this time around.

The song was originally written for "That Night In Rio," a 1941 movie, and was sung in English by Alice Faye and Portuguese by Don Ameche. The lyrics were by Mack Gordon and music by Harry Warren.

THEY MET IN RIO
(A MIDNIGHT SERENADE)
.
VERSE 1:
.
Listen to a tender story
Of a night of glory
When the moon was low.
Listen to a tender love song
Once upon a midnight
Not so very long ago.
.
CHORUS:
.
This song of love begins the night they met down in Rio,
In a cafe by the bay the romanced to a midnight serenade;
She told him to forget the night they met down in Rio,
And there were tears in her eyes as they
danced to a moonlight serenade.
He whispered, "You must be mine forevermore,"
And then she showed him someone else's picture
in the tiny little locket she wore.
And so he rode away but left his heart down in Rio,
All that remains of their love are the strains
of a midnight serenade.
.
VERSE 2 (FROM BRITISH SHEET MUSIC):
.
Knowing all a heart could capture
In the hour of rapture
There for lovers made;
Growing from a blossom tender
To its fullest splendor
Only just as soon to fade;
.
CHORUS:
.
This Song of love begins the night they met down in Rio,
In a cafe by the bay they romanced to a midnight serenade;
She told him to forget the night they met down in Rio,
And there were tears in her eyes as they
danced to a midnight serenade.
He whispered, "You must be mine forever,"
And then she showed him someone else's picture
in the tiny little locket she wore.
And so he rode away but left his heart in Rio,
All that remains of their love are the strains of
a midnight serenade.
.
.
"I, Yi, Yi, Yi" was also written by Gordon and Warren for "That Night in Rio" and sung by Carmen Miranda:
.
.
I, YI, YI,YI
(LIKE YOU VERY MUCH)
.
I, yi, yi, yi, I like you very much,
I, yi, yi, yi, I think you're grand;
Why, why, why is it that when I feel your touch,
My heart starts to beat, to beat the band?
I, yi, yi, yi, I like you to hold me tight,
You are too, too, too, too, too divine;
If you want to be in someone's arms tonight,
Just be sure the arms you're in are mine.
Oh I like your lips
And I like your eyes;
Would you like my hips
To hipsnotize you?
Si, si, si, si, si, si, see the moon above,
Way, way, way, way, way up in the blue;
Si, si, si, senor, I think I fall in love.
And when I fall, I think I fall for you
I, yi, yi, yi,
Si, si, si, si
I, yi, yi, yi
Can see, see, see
That you're for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home