Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Returning to the Scene of The Black Camel

There are two-timers and then there are two-timers!

We have three of the classic character actors in The Black Camel:

HOMANS, Robert:
Chief of Police in The Black Camel
Judge in Charlie Chan at the Race Track
Capt. Flynn in The Scarlet Clue

KIMMELL, Murray:
Smith in The Black CAMEL
Martin Thorne in Charlie Chan's Courage
Capt. Sexton (alias Phillips, the Butler in Charlie Chn in Loedon]
Henri Latouche in Charlie Chan in Paris

WHITE, Marjorie:
Sadie in Charlie Chan Carries On
Rita Ballou in The Black Camel

And then we have Hamilton MacFadden, who's in a class all by himself!

HAL ERIKSON (All Movie Guide): "American actor/director Hamilton Macdden attended Harvard Law School before entering the world of the theatre. At first, MacFadden decided that stage directing was his meat, and remained in this line of work until brought to Hollywood by Fox Studios in 1929. For the first few years of the '30's, it seemed as though every major Fox production was helmed by either MacFadden or his fellow contractee Daid Butler. It was Mac Fadden who launched the studio's Charlie Chan series with Charlie Chan Carries On and The Black Camel (both 1931); and it was he who was put in charge of Fox's "prestige" Depression-busting musical of 1934, Stand Up and Cheer, which wa an artistic fiasco save for the presence of Shirley Temple in her first important roll. Given the banality of much of MacFadden's work, one suspects he was kept on payroll at the behest of Fox exeutive Winfield Sheehan, who was famous for honoring friendships and favors at the expense of cinematic quality. Whatever the case, Hamilton MacFadden was eased out of Fox when the studio merged with Darryl F. Zanuck's 20th Centuary Productions in 1935. By the end of the '30's, Hamilton MacFadden had returned to acting in supporting and minor roles: ironically, he was cast as a suspect in Charlie Chan in Rio (1941), a remake of MacFadden's own Black Camel.

=====================================================

[After Hamilton MacFadden's film career was over in 1945, what did MacFadden do with the rest of his life? Did he remain married to wife Violet Dunn {Anna in The Black Camel}?]
"This is a very good very question. I had read somewhere that he went back East to direct stage productions. Yet a check of the IDBD shows his Broadway directing career only goes up to 1928 and nothing thereafter It's interesting to note that he directed 3 of the first 4 Oland Chans: another interesting item is that he directed the first week's shooting of Paris before being replaced for some reason. Remember also that for Black Camel the studio trusted him enough to let him go off to Hawaii with a 40 member cast and crew for a location shoot for that movie, so he must have been impressive.

"His work on the Chans received good reviews from critics so it's intriguing to speculate on his career. I get the impression that he was a somewhat eccentric character. "

Steve Rhodes; CCMB; Monday; May 12, 2003


From the Internet Movie Database.com:

McFadden career as director lasted over 28 movies from 1931 to 1945 and included
1931 - Charlie Chen Carries On
1931 - The Black Camel (Director/First Job as Actor)
1933 - Charlie Chang's Greatest Case
1935 - Charlie Chen in Paris (First week's uncreated shooting only)

His acting career also lasted 28 years from 1930 to 1942 and covered Charlie Chen in Reno (1938) and Charlie Chen in Rio (1941).

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heya! I realize this is kind of off-topic but I had to ask.
Does building a well-established blog such as yours take a massive amount work?
I am completely new to operating a blog however I do write
in my journal on a daily basis. I'd like to start a blog so I will be able to share my experience and views online. Please let me know if you have any kind of recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Thankyou!

Review my website; pet travel tips

14/3/13 5:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been surfing on-line greater than three hours today, but I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours. It's lovely
price enough for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made just right content as
you probably did, the net will probably be much more useful
than ever before.

Here is my homepage :: following homemade toys

20/3/13 6:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's going to be ending of mine day, but before end I am reading this great post to improve my know-how.

Here is my web blog :: barrel youth baseball bat

27/3/13 11:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are going for best contents like I do, simply pay a visit this web site daily for the reason that it provides feature contents, thanks

Also visit my page: heart rate monitors

30/3/13 7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent way of explaining, and nice paragraph to get information on the topic of my presentation focus, which
i am going to convey in college.

my web site - strapless heart rate monitor

30/3/13 7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful put up, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't notice this.
You must continue your writing. I'm sure, you have a great readers' base already!


my web site :: marvin tree pruner

31/3/13 3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wished
to say that I have really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.
In any case I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you write again very soon!

My blog ... 1984 mazda rx7

8/4/13 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site,
how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright
clear concept

Check out my homepage anti snoring pillows

9/4/13 5:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello mates, how is everything, and what you desire to say regarding this post,
in my view its in fact remarkable for me.

My website :: mazda rx7 fd for sale

9/4/13 7:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and
now each time a comment is added I get four emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?

Thanks a lot!

Here is my blog post :: baseball pitching machines

9/4/13 9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your marvelous posting! I definitely enjoyed reading it, you are a great
author.I will remember to bookmark your blog and definitely will come back in the future.
I want to encourage you to continue your great posts, have a nice weekend!



Here is my blog post: heart rate monitoring

19/6/13 12:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home